Founded around 1837, when the parish workhouse was converted into a brewery. William Gardner acquired the brewery in 1840, together with 49 tied houses. From 1858 until 1898 the business traded as Gardner & Godden, when it was registered as Gardner & Co Ltd. Amalgamated with Tomson & Wotton of Ramsagte in 1951 to form a new company, Combined Breweries (Holdings) Ltd. This was acquired by Whitbread & Co Ltd in 1968, brewing ceased in Ash in 1954. However ginger beer production continued until 1962. The brewhouse has since been demolished, although traces remain.