John Patteson purchased a brewery in Pockthorpe in 1793. Within 10 years, Patteson had acquired breweries in Norwich and Great Yarmouth. Two members of the Steward family joined Patteson’s son in 1820, when the company became known as Steward, Patteson & Steward. More takeovers followed, adding breweries and pubs in Gorleston, Reepham and Great Yarmouth again. The Company was registered as Steward & Patteson Ltd in July 1895. When Watneys bought them in 1963, over 600 pubs were owned.