The first introduction of the Brickwood family to brewing was in 1851, when Fanny Brckwood bought the Cobden Arms Brewery, Landport. Grandsons John & Arthur in 1875 and in 1880 moved to the Hyde Park Brewery in Southsea, then in 1887 to Tessier’s Portsmouth Brewery which had been founded in 1763. Early labels give this as the date of establishment of the company. The company was registered as Brickwood and Co Ltd in 1899. Jewell’s Catherine Brewery was purchased in 1899 and rebuilt as the Portsmouth Brewery, occupied from 1902 onwards. When Pike, Spicer was acquired in 1911, the establishment date became 1705, which seems to be the date of William Pike’s brewing apprenticeship indenture. The Southampton connection came from 1925 to 1928 when 4 breweries were taken over. Long’s of Southsea were taken over in 1933, the head brewer of Long’s became head brewer at the Portsmouth brewery and explains the group of labels headed Long’s. The name was changed to Brickwoods Ltd in 1953 after the merger with Portsmouth & Brighton United Breweries.